I birded today at Bald Eagle State Park and picked up new county year bird- a flock of 20 Common Goldeneye. There was a nice diversity with a couple rafts of all three mergansers, Ruddy Ducks, Great Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks and a lone Bufflehead.
There was a flock of Canada Geese that I took some time to look over and I managed to pick out one with a green band on its left leg (BOX or 8OX) and a telemetry antenna of some sort sticking out of its back. The green band was exceptionally hard to read as it was always hidden in the grass.
I hadn’t heard of anyone putting telemetry units on Canada Geese so a quick Google search found some info on a couple older projects but nothing that I thought this bird might be part of. I already submitted all the info to the Banding Lab but I would love to hear if anyone knows where the this bird might have been banded, what the project is, and whether its still being tracked.
Latest posts by Drew Weber (see all)
- Strong flight with possible upstate NY fallout - May 21, 2013
- ABA Bird of the Year Multimedia Art Contest Announcement - May 20, 2013
- Best flight this year - May 18, 2013
- North winds slow migration in east, tonight could be more of the same - May 17, 2013
- Heavy migration everywhere! - May 16, 2013